Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The road to the gym is paved with good intentions

Me and Miss B went to check out the local gym today. Tomorrow we are going for our induction. It's too hot to even think about working out but I've been meaning to do it for ages and it is cheap.

On the law front, called Mr Bank Manager and left a message to call me back which he never did. However rogue statement was returned in the post today suggesting that he finally has everything he needs and the forms are being processed. Everything crossed that I come out a desirable candidate to lend money to.

As a continuance to this, this evening's training contract application has hugely amused by as the winner of well thought-out web design. This is due to the following:

  • The form will not accept that I still work at my current job and tells me my end date cannot be in future. However, there is no option to leave the end date blank.
  • There is no space to explain what I actually do at work. Only my job title. For someone who graduated two years ago it would be pretty useful to explain what I've actually been doing since then and what I've learned.
  • The form contains a question about my positions of responsibility at school (so nearly ten years ago) and a follow-up asking why I undertook these positions. I don't think I can put "I started playing the cello because I wanted to play the violin but my mum suggested the cello as less people play it. I stopped enjoying it a few years in and carried on playing because my mum wouldn't let me quit." How's that for ambition and perseverence? I also don't think that joining the choir at school (at age 11) was particularly strongly driven by my desire to one day tell the recruiters at Medium Shipping Firm that I did it "to develop my communication and teamwork skills".
  • It doesn't say anywhere that it doesn't store your answers - the form is divided into five sections and once you complete one, if you don't complete the others within a particular timeframe the page resets and everything is gone. It states that the page will reset after 40 minutes but I didn't realise that meant the WHOLE page, i thought just that section. Once again I'm doubting my ability to become a lawyer :)
I have come to the conclusion that I don't want to work for firms with ridiculous application forms. Unfortunately, however, beggars can't be choosers so I'm off to think up an example of when I was enterprising!

No comments: