Monday, July 10, 2006

Happy Birthday to ME!!!

Yes, I am a quarter of a century old now. I have decided to ignore this fact as it makes me depressed. When I was little I thought that when I was 25 I would be a proper grown up. I probably thought I would be married (heaven forbid!!!) or a lawyer/politician/famous movie star. I probably also thought I would be rich. Funny how life is... I don't want to be a movie star anymore, the idea of a boyfriend let alone marriage brings me out in hives and I can't afford Jimmy Choos yet. Humph. So I'm pretending it hasn't happened and I'm not a grown up yet. I still have time.

This brings up the amusing prospect of going to Law School with a bunch of 21-year-olds. I'm hoping I will blend in and not feel horrifically old, but instead feel like I am 21 again. On Saturday night kind strangers who bought me Jaegermeister and RedBull (clearly now that I am older I have become a lot wiser about my drinking... ahem) thought I was 22. I was flattered. And then I downed the Jaegermeister and RedBull like a good little 22-year-old. But there was no podium dancing or other embarrassing shenanigans (I think) of any description. Any embarrassing shenanigans have been quietly stored away at the back of my memory in a little box never to resurface again. In fact this is a case of "if I don't remember it, it didn't happen". Nothing embarrassing did happen but this is my theory in general regarding drunken nights out.

Today I am in the office, and I have a client meeting. How inappropriate that a client meeting has been set for my birthday. It wasnt like I didn't make a huge deal about it at the time, and so far only my boss has remembered it is my birthday (notably hardly anyone else is here, but the strategically placed birthday card on my desk should be enough to make people throw presents at me. Preferably cash). It turns out it is some other girl's birthday today too but the fact that nobody bothered to organise a birthday lunch for me but about 20 people turned up in the pub I was having lunch with my (only) workfriend in for her birthday lunch, speaks volumes. Its ok, I don't like the people I work with any more than they like me. Don't lose sleep over it, my darlings :)

No comments: