Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The conclusion of the training contract saga...

So, those of you who have been avid followers of my blawg will know that the most prevalent legally related (and any other related for that matter) dilemma in my life recently has been my search for a Training Contract for 2008.

For my across-the-ponds readers, a Training Contract is a two-year "on-the-job" programme that you have to complete after Law School in order to qualify as a lawyer. No bar exams or suchlike here. You get paid, it's like a job, and the big City firms also give you money to live off during law school and pay your fees.

Now getting one has been the bane of my life. You may remember my inspiring posts detailing my interview experiences etc earlier in the summer, rejection after rejection and other issues to boot.

Thus I'm sure you will be relieved to read that it's all over. Whether thats a good thing, I'll leave to you to decide, but it's over. I have heard back from all the firms I have applied to apart from one. So, all the interviews I have got I have had and now there are really no more chances.

So here is the lowdown:


  • Applications - 18

  • Downright rejections - 12

  • Assessment days - 2

  • Rejections from assessment days - 2

  • First round interviews - 4

  • Rejections after first round interview 1

  • Second round interviews - 3

  • Total rejections - 17(one haven't got back to me though)

  • Total number of Training Contracts - 1



  • Yes that is correct. You read it right. The whole saga has all been worth it. This morning, I had a second round interview at "Week of interviews Part II". It was a bit tough. I was nervous as hell as I knew it was my absolute last chance to get a TC or I would have to take a year out after Law School and apply again next year for 2009. They said they would let me know this afternoon, and by the time I got home and was getting out of my suit, shaking uncontrollably, the phone rang.

    They want me.

    Oh yes, I have been offered a training contract. I love them, they are my saviours! I really liked the firm when I went to see them before and was so excited when they offered me a second round interview. And apparently it went well! I answered the questions best I could and it seems to have worked.

    The relief is unbelievable although I am not sure it feels quite real just yet. So far all I have got is rejection after rejection so getting someone to say yes is just surreal. This means that when I walk through the Law School doors on Friday it will be with less pressure about my future and I can truly focus on the studying. I won't need to get a part-time job (although I probably still will to save up), I can afford to stay in the flat I live in now, and I will be able to keep myself in shoes.

    A BIG FAT HURRAH FOR ME!!!

    (And I will update you on my holiday soon, promise, but yesterday I was caught up in interview prep!)

    6 comments:

    Rachel said...

    Well done!

    Susie Law School said...

    Thanks guys, I am still pretty sure I hallucinated the whole thing and the rejection email is on its way. :-)

    Gavin Whenman said...

    Wayhey!
    Well done you! All that hard work paid off :-D

    Jet Setting Bex said...

    I'm so proud of you and so happy that you got your training contract! Big hugs and make sure there is lots of celebrating!!

    The 'Twenty-Something' said...

    Welcome back Susie!

    Felt the need to add to your string of congratulations. WELL DONE!

    Keep us informed of how it all goes...

    Miss H

    Anonymous said...

    I like calling it a training contract, it somehow buffers the conversation (whenever it comes up betweenme and my friends over a drink) that i am in a profession that some people absolutely abhor, yet inevitably will need at one point in their lives.