Monday, September 04, 2006

Stupid technology.

I received an email today from a law firm, wondering why I had not taken part in the online reasoning test they invited me to in early August. They presume I have withdrawn from the application process and would like to know why, and where I have accepted an offer from and why.

(what offer, you may ask?!)

Those of you who have been following my blawg can probably hear me screaming right about now. And yes, that banging you hear is my head against a big fat brick wall.

Obviously I never got the email. My obsessive junk-mail-checking indicates it never arrived. I got no invite. Full stop. Now they've probably filled all their places and I have no chance. Obviously I have emailed them to explain but it's a bit too little too late. I can't believe that technology is responsible for me missing out on an interview. I mean I'm not fussy, if somewhere I applied to invites me to an assessment, I will take it!

I can't help but think that back in the days of carrier pigeons, invites to training contract interviews had a much higher chance of arriving.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

3 comments:

Susie Law School said...

Thanks ed, it sucks. I went on their website, found my form and it said "you have decided to withdraw from the application process". Um... NO I BLOODY HAVEN'T!

It's difficult enough to get a TC without stuff like this happening, grr...

buffalodawg said...

How do these training contracts work? Do they pay for law school if you get one. If so, that is a much better deal than the U.S. Then again, law school isn't that expensive, at least at a state school.

Susie Law School said...

Hey dawg - that's exactly how they work. There is no bar exam here, instead you do on the job training in order to qualify as a lawyer. There are two different types of lawyers too but thats a whole different ballgame.

A lot of the bigger firms do pay for training contracts but its not a requirement for anywhere to do so. I've applied to big international and US firms in London and they all pay for it and give you a grant to live on. I really need it too or Strippers R Us is my next stop!

Law school costs about £7-12k ($13000-$23000) for a year, if you have a law degree. If you don't its another £7k for a conversion course which is one year also.

S.