Thursday, September 28, 2006

The Great Smoky Mountains... and the beginning of the shopping!

Ok we didn't see much of the mountains. We headed off from Richmond in the morning, the first cloudy day since we arrived decided to take place just then. We drove up to the mountains, hoping to drive across Skyline Drive and see some spectacular views, but encountered some fog. And not just a little fog. A lot of thick, white, unpenetratable fog. To the extent that we couldn't actually see more than about two feet in front of the car. So we drove down again.

We instead had lunch at a small cafe in Staunton (pronounced Stanton), some quiche and a cookie. Very cute, frequented by some students from James Madison University which is apparently nearby. The town was tiny and very all-american small town-like. Although we didn't get to see the mountains this was a nice experience.

In the evening we were due at Winchester, VA to spend the night. A whole lot of quiet in this place and we couldn't even find the obligatory junk food chains to eat in. We had chicken and biscuit (now this is no ordinary biscuit, its like a salty sponge cake that tastes kinda buttery) at Popeye's. And strawberry Fanta. OH MY GOD. I've never encountered this before, and E-numbers and sugar content aside, its so LOVELY!!! I'm not a big fizzy drinks fan, I would never buy any for the house, only have coke in pubs if I'm not drinking, but this I would buy. Yum. Can't get it here. Damn.

This day was pretty quiet, but the next day was our last day on the road!!! We were due to return Randy at Union Station in D.C. at 4pm the following day. So we headed off, driving through the mountains a little bit. This was one of the best drives we had - little winding roads and some great views (no huge drops but cute countryside and stuff). Randy did us proud, even though we couldn't take the roof down because it wasn't sunny. Boo hiss. We managed, with a little detour, to go into West Virginia for a bit, adding to our state count.

The first shopping stop was at Leesburg, where a large outlet park resides. It was very quiet as it was the middle of the day and a Thursday so we could shop in peace. This trip was the trigger for my love of Guess. Miss S is a big fan already and has brought back numerous items from her travels, now I got to go to a shop myself. Now there is one in London but I haven't even bothered to go in there as it's extortionately expensive. But this one wasn't, so we started the carnage on our bank accounts. Such lovely stuff. I'm still dreaming about a handbag I didn't buy and wish I hadn't... so cute!!! I made up for this later on though I'm sure.

No comments: