Saturday, May 26, 2007

Shoulda woulda coulda

A realisation dawned on me yesterday.

I should have gone to Oxford.

Ergo I would have realised I am only average among great minds, rather than going to a good university where I was one of fewer great minds among a greater number of average minds.*

Ergo I could have taken all this academic distress more in my stride and not felt so horrendously disappointed about failing to obtain the distinction that I should have got (and probably would have got had I gone to Oxford) and would have been content with the Pass or low Commendation I am destined for, and could have been happier, rather than feeling like I should have written more concisely so I would have done my knowledge justice so I could have got the elusive Distinction.

Q.E.D.

Now I've come to terms with that, all is well.

The latest installment in the exam saga was ok in comparison to the other two, although my defamation answer was truly shoddy, and I made a significant misstatement of fact in my Occupiers’ Liability question, thus leaving out a crucial chunk of discussion, so that wasn’t so good. But it's done, and Tort was always my worst subject, so as long as I pass I'm actually going to just accept that we were never a match made in heaven.

But tonight I’ll be seeing Jack Sparrow so all is well in the world!

*This is not intended to be in any way disparaging about my University, or the people who study there, it is a rather good University, particularly for my subjects and my friends are all very clever.

3 comments:

Law Girl said...

oh dear girl, are you reading my mind?!

The Yuppie Attorney said...

There has always been a distinction here in the U.S. between 1st tier schools, i.e. Harvard, Yale, Princeton; and 2d tier schools U Mass, BC, and U Mich. Those graduating from 1st tier schools have always had greater ease at finding high paying jobs, not necessarily bar passage rates. Nonetheless, I asked a professor of mine how he taught differently at Princeton to my school. He said that the teacher student relationship was less formal, but the class and the test difficulty were the same, "there is only one way to teach Contracts."

I like you would like the 1st tier distinction and the higher paying jobs.

Anonymous said...

Modesty is your strong suit