Saturday, August 12, 2006

The joys of pre-law school reading

They have begun.

I haven't got a law degree, my first year of law school will therefore comprise 1645 hours of study, equivalent to two University year. I can't wait. Yes I am a crazy academic and love studying, particularly now that it will be in law.

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed half of my undergraduate degree and all of my Masters, but this is the big one. I'm going to Law School, look out world!

So, in preparation for my first day as Law Student I am due to read about and work on the following:

  • Historical Development of the Law

  • Sources of Law

  • The Court Structure

  • Statutory Interpretation

  • Doctrine of Precedent

  • EU Institutions and basics of EU Law

  • Structure of the UK Parliament

  • Specimen Directions


  • So far so good. All of this was covered in my Law A-level and it makes me feel quite pleased that I know a lot of this stuff already, I just need to refresh it. Yes, admittedly my Law A-level was 6 years ago but it is surprising how much comes back when you read up on it a bit. After all I diligently memorised it all back then, it has to be somewhere, right?

    In addition I get to read about new stuff as well!

  • Charity Commission

  • Probate

  • Principal theories, objectives and aims of Tort Law

  • Use of mediation for solving clinical negligence disputes

  • Tort reform

  • Basics of Contract Law


  • Sounds a lot. I have no time to do it in. Oops. In reality I have this weekend to do it in. And a few nights the week after this week.

    Welcome to the next two years of my life!

    5 comments:

    Gavin Whenman said...

    You'll love it and hate it... sometimes at the same time ;-)

    buffalodawg said...

    I hope you enjoy law school, I'll have to read your blog to compare law school in the U.S. to the U.K. Good luck with your first year from a fellow 1L.

    Susie Law School said...

    I can't wait... I'm weird I know.

    Law student - we can do a timeshare?
    :-)

    Legal Bachelor said...

    Re: Pre law school reading...

    As pertains to at least American law school, I'll refer you to this post I read a while back:

    http://the-juddge.livejournal.com/19268.html


    Don't fight your battles before the war starts!

    Susie Law School said...

    LOL @ LB - thanks for that.

    However my pre-law reading is in no way motivated by my competitive instinct but more the fact that I'll have to do that reading at some point anyway so the sooner I do it the less I have to worry about it later on. Also there are actual assignments at our end for the first week so its not so voluntary. :-)