Sunday, February 11, 2007

The art of procrastination

I have my first assessed piece of work due on Wednesday. It's nothing serious, just a problem question requiring an answer of strictly 1500 words. It's worth a mere 5% of my final grade yet I'm getting a tad consumed with it.

Originally I wanted the whole thing written and over with by yesterday. As you can imagine, that did not happen. I'm still going. I have all the information down now, but I still have 1949 words. So I'm trying to clean it up, but I have developed an impressive skill for procrastination, something I never used to have before. The computer is a distraction - there's instant messenger, there are games... there's my blawg... it's all going very very wrong.

I blame the information age for my academic demise.

4 comments:

Gavin Whenman said...

Yep, I know that feeling ;-)

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard of someone outside grade school having to write a number of words composition.

In lawschool (U.S. Version), I had a required 70 page final problem paper. Otherwise in Lawschool, when I asked my instructors about length they would say things like "when you answered the question" or "when it feels right."

Now in practice, one of the judges I practice before has a sign on his wall "blessed be the brief!" Honestly Elle, when you finally practice length is something you avoid. Good luck with the paper!

Susie Law School said...

This word limit thing is nothing new to be fair, the whole way through University everything had word limits, except exams.

But I'm sure I'll make a great lawyer - I managed to squeeze it all down to 1486 words!

buffalodawg said...

We have the length limit for our appellate briefs we are writing now. I'm supposed to squeeze my argument section into ten pages. Fun.

I've updated my url for google reasons. If you'd like to update your blogroll it is now www.buffalodawg1.blogspot.com