Sunday, January 14, 2007

The fun of essay writing

So tomorrow I have a practice assessment due. Basically it's a practice exam question you can do in your own time, hand it in and your tutor will put big red marks all the way across it and tell you how much you suck.

I handed one in before the Christmas break that I haven't got back yet (it would have been nice to as then I could have perhaps avoided some of the red pen on the basis of the previous answer). I am starting to get the impression though that the marking criteria is pretty tough, as two people I thought were pretty clever, managed only 37%.

Friday night I set about writing my answer, thinking it wasn't likely to take that long and it seemed pretty straightforward as a problem question, but I fell into a trap.

The trap of over-thinking. Instead of being sensible, I started trying to pick out bits where they're trying to trick you and where it would be easy to talk about one piece of law when the answer is actually something different. So it all went downhill from there.

I thought I knew the law. I know I understand the law. I thought the question looked easy.

But now I'm convinced it's not a very good answer. Boo hiss.

Watch this space for my grade!!

1 comment:

Gavin Whenman said...

I wouldn't worry about how the other two people did - people can look clever (and act it) and really be a massive ball of incompetence when it comes down to it. I should know ;-)