Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Road to Distinction...

... is paved with challenges.

Someone really has got it in for me and currently I am seriously thinking that getting a distinction (which is the only acceptable grade for me because I am a horrendous geek and perfectionist) is just not going to happen.

Ok, so first it was two weeks off with the infernal wisdom teeth, one of those weeks being reading week when I was supposed to catch up on all my reading.

Then, this weekend I was fully intending to do lots of work but got a visitor for the whole weekend so did nothing, and was so tired yesterday morning that I missed my first two lectures.

Today when I was fully intending on spending all day in the library - guess what happened?

Well I went in for one of the lectures I missed yesterday feeling a bit sniffly. This got progressively worse throughout the lecture and the two hours in the library that ensued. To the point that I have now had to leave the library in search of drugs and tea. This means I have to go home. This means I won't get as much work done as I should and yet another day is wasted by matters beyond my control!

Yesterday I found out about 4-5% of people get distinctions (i.e. average over 70%). Most people get Commendations which is the next grade down (Average 60-70%). 4% of 800 students - that's 32 students. THIRTY-TWO STUDENTS!!! THAT IS INSANE!!!!

I have no idea what the percentage was at University but THIRTY-TWO STUDENTS!!!

I want to be one of them, I must get to be one of them, but the way I'm going I'll be lucky if I pass... now I'm going to get drugs and hope it all goes away and the universe leaves me alone.

3 comments:

buffalodawg said...

Since it is only 32 students at least noone is ashamed not to get distinctions. Plus, those training contracts have got to lessen the anxiety.
Our curve is about 10%: A 70%: B 20%: C-F. Guess who gets the summer jobs with their 2k per week salary while the rest of us go to summer school?

Susie Law School said...

Hmm... I'll be ashamed if I don't get one but that's just me and I'm just a tad perfectionistic...

To be fair 80% of people getting As and Bs can't be bad, that's a very high percentage surely?

But I imagine also very competitive.

Anonymous said...

Hey Susie, on our part-time course one person got a distinction. Not sure how big the year was so can't give you a percentage - ISTR there were about 400 commendations though. Including me :-( Was on course for a distinction at end of 1st year but did poorly in disserta and 2nd year exams.
Ed