Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Mooooooooooooooooot!

So, today I went to the first meeting of the Mooting Society and thus signed up for the mooting competition.

For those who can't be bothered to look at the link, mooting is basically a pretend law suit where both sides get the same problem and then argue its legal merits, one as the appellant and one as the respondent. You go off and research the law and then make a submission to the other side about your arguments, and then you argue in front of a fake judge. But if you get to the final, you'll argue in front of a real judge which is really exciting!

So I joined. Now I'm worried. What if I'm not any good at it? You get put into teams and the first round of the competition is before Xmas. So not much time to prepare. My friend, who got to the final of his law school mooting competition, has offered to train me up thankfully, which is nice. It's not the public speaking part that worries me, I'm good at that. It's actually knowing what on earth I'm talking about!

But the good thing is, now I have something else on top of my Law School work to do so I will have to get on with it and hopefully I will be much more productive. Hurrah!

Distinction, here I come!

3 comments:

Gavin Whenman said...

Cool - I'm doing my first spot of mooting next week (argh)

Good luck with yours :-)

Anonymous said...

Good luck. The person I sit next to at work (who is doing a part time law degree) has just returned from a mooting competition in New York which his team qualified for in a UK competition...

Ps. You've been tagged by me - '10 Things I would never do.' If you look at my blog, you'll see what you need to do (if you want)

The 'Twenty-Something' said...

Someone needs to bottle that enthusiasm of yours and mass-produce it.

Good luck

Miss H