Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Exam I

Property Law and Practice was the longest exam I have ever done. And is likely to remain the longest until the New York Bar at least. I mean it actually WAS the longest, three hours and 15 minutes. I left 10 minutes before the end having finished my answers a good ten minutes earlier. This asn't happened to me since my undergraduate exams - I finished early! Oh except for Accounts but that wasn't a real exam...

That in itself is not however, an indication that the exam went well. I had high hopes for this one. I felt like I knew it.

Section A was multiple c
hoice, not a big fan actually. They try to catch you out wit really tiny detail so youneed to be mega-careful to read the question exactly and not miss anything! I got lots of D's. There is of course no statistical probability involved so they could all be D's but it did not inspire confidence.

Section B was about registered land. It was fine, mostly, but I
thought for a while I was running out of time and started rushing and possibly didn't answer the middle questions as well as I could have done. There was a professional conduct question which totally threw me and even though I think I got some of the points, I certainly missed out talking about the fact that it isn't in the client's best interest to lie to their mortgage lender... bah.

Section C was on leases, my least favourite topic area. Many were
hoping for a big question on Security of Tenure but instead said topic was in MCQs. I hadn't looked at Landlords' Licences in enough detail so missed out a lot of points on section C. Not amused.

Next one is on Friday, litigation. Two papers, one in morning one in afternoon. Am
hoping it will go better!

3 comments:

Asp said...

Well done on getting the marathon session down, at least yours was at the start; mine's on Friday after a full week of other exams. I'm presuming the provider is run by a bunch of sadists...

Separate note though to say congratulations on getting a mention on LawCareers.Net
"ups, downs, twists and turns" eh? I never realised how much the LPC was like ballet...

Anonymous said...

I got loads of D's too. That makes me feel better :D
C.

Unknown said...

Some people only have selective memory for the things they couldn't answer/didn't answer well, possibly there was lots of stuff you could do too?
Good Luck!