Thursday, January 10, 2008

Now that Law School is back in session and rapidly approaching its end, the time has come to consider my next steps. In other words, think of something respectable, yet fun to do before I start my surely-glittering career at Big Law Firm. I have some ideas, most of which take place outside the confines of the United Kingdom, however I have encountered the age old problem - somehow I will need to fund my escapades.

I have some money. Not very much. Big Law Firm has paid me a nice little grant for law school and Mr. Bank Manager has been kind enough to provide some extra. However, I now wish I had asked for a little MORE extra. I feel it may be too late and in any case I doubt that "I need to extend my loan by £4000 to fund jet-setting around the world for a few months after Law School" is simply not going to fly with him.

Obviously some of the time between Law School and Law Firm will need to be spent working. However, having carried out some preliminary calculations, I would have to earn a rather unlikely hourly wage to have sufficient capital to go securely from June to my start date in early 2009. This hourly wage could of course be obtained through somewhat underhand methods, but despite my career choice as a lawyer, I still have some morals left. And I would hate to be struck off before I even qualify for soliciting of a completely different kind.

The biggest problem is rent. Namely paying it. If I didn't have to pay rent all would be well. I have to manage 13 months rent until my first paycheck. I have enough money to do that at present, but once I've done it, there will not be a great deal left unless I cut out luxuries such as food, electricity and travelling to Law School. So subletting looks like the most viable option, which unfortunately cuts out a lot of my flexibility on how to spend my time.

The crux of this post is this. I need to make some money. A part-time job is of course the most likely option, but I would need to find one that earned me significantly more than the minimum wage in order to be able to spend the very small available part of my time at work. So I turn to you, dear readers. Any other ideas? LEGITIMATE ones only, please.

5 comments:

Reggae Barrister said...

So sorry I have nothing useful really. How about teaching part time? Tutoring?

Your comment on my blog was interesting, like how did you know?

Good Luck finding solutions though and congrats on your achievements thus far.

Anonymous said...

As I sit here in BPP law library trying to do my work (it's not going anywhere) I wonder:
1. Why have I not discovered this blog before.
2. Why is the person writing this blog both blonde and called Susie (both of which are applicable to me).

I would suggest doing some promotion work or extras work. Both of which are extremely well paid considering what you do. Yes, your mind is probably well beyond that, but is your bank balance?

Good luck with all xxx

Michael said...

Know exactly what you mean with the 'need to make money and make it now' problem. I'm considering getting a part time job BEFORE the summer now, and having initially toyed with the idea of pimping my g/f, I've thought the better of it. Probably just as well.

Android said...

Lottery!

Especially if you're Gemini... Horoscope says there is a high chance of them winning lottery in February 08! Too bad I'm not Gemini :(

Anonymous said...

Publish your blog as a nice little survival guide to law school. The cover would be pink of course. It would sell like hotcakes! Anyone going to You-Know-Where-PP will need it if only to alleviate the mind-numbing boredom induced by being told how to construct sentences in Legal Writing seminars.
Or ask Big Law Firm to sponsor you doing something they can publish in the inhouse magazine to show how much pro bono their trainees do?