Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Early observations

  • The LPC is volume-wise very heavy. Apparently more so at the beginning, then the workload eases off. I would have to agree, on first look, that this is certainly the case. I have plenty of preparation to be getting on with already and my first lecture isn't until tomorrow! But I like stuyding and being busy so all is well.

  • You have to be VERY organised on the LPC. This is mostly because you don't get told anything. All the information you need is in the packs you are given and you are expected to know what to do with it. This is a huge difference to the GDL where everything was spoonfed from Day 1. I don't mind this, I like organising stuff, but I can imagine it could lead to confusion for some people who aren't prepared to take much responsibility for their own timekeeping.

  • "Constructive feedback" is just another word for "slagging off". For interviewing and advocacy we have to present to the class or to each other and then receive feedback from them. I can't imagine anything worse than standing up in front of other law students and having them tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'm not so keen on criticism per se, but at least when it is coming from a more senior person like a boss or tutor, I feel a bit more like it is justified. Coming from other students it just feels like plain old slagging off. Yuck.

  • I'm very excited about Accounts and Revenue Law. Perhaps Tax Law is where my future lies!
  • 5 comments:

    Lise Johnston said...

    Constructive feedback from your peers? They presumably know about as much or less than you do. You'll be getting comments like: "You flick your hair too much and talk with your hands." *sigh* May you have more patience than I.

    Gavin Whenman said...

    I've got a friend that started Wednesday and hadn't done any of the summer reading.

    It felt great when she told me her first exam is on Monday... and it's based on the summer reading :-D

    Anonymous said...

    What does it take to be a barrister or solictor in UK?

    Reggae Barrister said...

    I guess my mode of studying now would prepare me sufficiently for my entry into the LPC. I would say good luck but you don't need that. You are gonna do magnificently.

    Susie Law School said...

    Dear anonymous,

    you need a undergraduate Law degree OR a Graduate Diploma in Law, if you have a degree in another subject. Then to be a solicitor you need to do the Legal Practice Course (one year) and a training contract (two years) where you work for a law firm and practice on the job. To be a barrister you need the Bar Vocational Course (one year) and a pupillage (2xsix months) which is the same as a training contract but for barristers.

    And hey presto.