Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Friends and family... and more law stuff

I'm going home to Mum and Dad Law School this weekend. For three whole weeks.

I'm very excited - I love going home and hanging out with the parents, and it will also be Christmas which I love too. I guess I enjoy going home so much because I can revert straight back to being a teenager when life was but a daydream and there were no serious things such as careers and paying rent to worry about. But it will be Christmas and I'm going home so I'm mega-excited. Yes some more of the well known Susie Law School enthusiasm has been saved up for the holidays.

On another note - Law School Friends. I get on with people in my class, no problem. However I wonder how many of them hate me. It's already been well established that I work hard. It's already been well established that I 99% of the time know the answer. It's also been established that if I know the answer and nobody else is volunteering it, I will speak up. But I do wonder if they think I'm an annoying know-it-all. I occasionally find myself feeling guilty that I do always know the answer (not TOO guilty, after all I still want a distinction) and perhaps slightly resented by my fellow classmates. And it worries me a bit as after all, people potentially bitching about you isn't the nicest.

It doesn't worry me too much, after all I have my friends who I know like me and I like them, and I wouldn't change them for the world. But the whole thing made me think that possibly Law School friendships are a bit like those you have with your colleagues at work. Everyone gets on perfectly fine on a social level, but only very few spend time together outside of work. At work however, everyone is looking out for themselves and nobody likes other people to do well. It's a dog eat dog world.

Or Law Student eat Law Student.

On another note, I had a dream last night that I had my first moot and hadn't prepared at all and lost. Not good.

1 comment:

First Year said...

To the poster above, if it makes you feel any better. I don't try to pretend like I like people just because they're asain (or whatever else). I have a hard time faking niceness and friendliness with people I dislike. I don't act mean or rude but I don't make any effort to near them or make fake friends with them.