Thursday, March 22, 2007

Men vs Shopping

Me and Miss S. had a discussion a while back about whether a person's attitude to shopping is in any way related to their attitude to men. We decided it is. Here are some examples to exemplify the theory...

(Please note me and Miss S reserve copyright or IP rights for this, or whatever... so if the theory becomes famous, you heard it here first!)

Miss Fussy

Although she loves shopping and buying new things, Miss Fussy goes to a shop and if she doesn't immediately see something that catches her eye, she will leave. She will go to expensive shops she can't afford, looking at gorgeous things she loves the look of but has no chance of buying. She doesn't really like a lot of the cheap stuff she sees either though and often ends up buying nothing. But once she finds something she likes she will wear it to death... until she gets bored of course.

Miss Diligent

She takes a more structured approach, searching through all the rails, trying on a variety of styles until she finds one that is just right. A little bit like Miss Fussy but more likely to give something an chance that doesn't look quite right straight away.

Miss Bargainhunter

She goes straight for the 'Sale' rack and either come out with something really cheap and tacky, or something you never thought would look good but somehow just fits. It's really a skill in itself and there is no method to her madness.

Miss 'Can't Be Bothered'

She hates shopping and really cannot be bothered with it. She will go into a shop, pick up the first thing that fits, and pay for it, just to have something to wear. More often than not, it really doesn't look very good or is completely out of fashion.

Miss Fashionista

She is obsessed with the current trends, and will buy anything as long as it was featured in this month's Vogue. Regardless of how badly it suits her, whatever is flavour of the month must be had. Unfortunately for her, it will go out of fashion in a few months and get discarded along with all the other old stuff...

Miss Designer

A bit like Miss Fashionista, but not one for trends as much as price and Big Names. She will buy gorgeous pieces from expensive stores and show them off to all her friends. Unfortunately many of her gorgeous, expensive pieces often lack personality and substance.

I will leave it to your imagination to make the connection to men... and work out which one I am!

3 comments:

Wabisabi said...

Nice post. I think there is another type (I know because I am one):

She usually has a good idea what she wants to buy before going into a shop. If she does not see it in shop, she would rather hold on to her purse. If she sees it in a shop, she will buy it immediately on the spot and pay whatever price to bring it home, without even window-shopping for cheaper or similar items. (The time for window-shopping is opportunity cost too.)

First Year said...

I am a totally different type too :)

My Shopping Style: I hate to shop because I get bored if I cannot find something quickly. I wait until I am in desperate need of something. (currently a wedding dress for my September 1 wedding, yea I know!!!) and then I try to do a super shopping trip where I get quickly sick of looking through racks and trying things on and I leave. I repeat this until I absolutely must have the item and then I go in and get the first one that even remotely works.

I think I need some help :( Sorry for the vent!

Anonymous said...

Hiya

Just wanted to say keep up the good work, been a while since your last post and I keep checking back for an update! Perhaps it's the mountain of revising you probably have to do at the moment thats keeping you away. Good luck with the exams!

P.S. I have added you to my site, Law Geek as one of the best student blawgs on the net :-)